On May 29th, 2023, at the Nguyễn Văn Cừ Campus on District 5, a MoU signing ceremony took place in all aspects between the Department of Oceanography, Meteorology and Hydrology, the Faculty of Physics – Engineering Physics of VNUHCM-University of Science and Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego (USA).
Representatives of Scripps Institution of Oceanography are:
– Dr Peter A. Rogowski, Department of Coastal Observation Research and Development, Central Laboratory for Marine Physics, UC San Diego;
– Assoc. Prof. R. Kipp Shearman, College of Earth, Ocean & Atmospheric Sciences, Oregon State University;
– Mr Richard Nguyen, Naval Information Warfare Center Pacific, Office of Naval Research (ONR);
– And Prof. Javier Zavala-Garay, Faculty of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University (joined online).
The welcoming representatives of the VNUHCM-US are:
– Dr Võ Hồng Hải – Deputy Head of the External Relations Department;
– Assoc.Prof.Dr Trần Thiện Thanh – Deputy Head of the Faculty of Physics – Engineering Physics;
– Assoc.Prof.Dr Võ Lương Hồng Phước – Head of the Department of Oceanography, Meteorology and Hydrology;
– Assoc.Prof.Dr Đặng Trường Anh – Deputy Head of the Department of Oceanography, Meteorology and Hydrology;
– And the Lecturers of the Department of Oceanography, Meteorology and Hydrology.
During the signing ceremony, representatives of the Department of Oceanography, Meteorology and Hydrology, Faculty of Physics – Engineering Physics, VNUHCM-US and Scripps Institution of Oceanography , UC San Diego, USA had sincere and open communication and expressed desirable cooperation toward common developmental goals. Prof. Shearman, USA confessed: “We see Việt Nam as a potential country, and VNUHCM-US is the place that we put our trust in cooperation and scientific research investments.” Assoc.Prof.Dr. Hồng Phước, HCMUS, representing the faculty, affirmed creating all conditions for sustainable and long-term cooperation.
The aqgreement’s Contents signed between the two parties include:
- Investigation, survey and scientific research in oceanography, meteorology, environmental change and ecology.
- Training and education in modern technologies for ocean research, such as survey equipment, research work on Vessels Marine Research Vessels, ocean models, instruments compile data, process data, and establish climate conditions and boundaries for ocean models.
- Training and education in operating measuring instruments with sensor systems to measure many oceanographic factors, for example, wave buoys, drifters, buoyancy, wave-driven gliders, or seabed topographic instrumentation.
- Research on hydrographic processes, seasonal and climatic changes in the coastal zone and continental shelf of Việt Nam and the East Sea.